Federal Student Aid, an office of the U.S. Department of Education: Proud sponsor of the American mind. Federal Student Aid, an office of the U.S. Department of Education: Proud sponsor of the American mind.

Income-Driven Repayment (IDR) Plan Request

You're currently not logged in!
You must log in to complete and submit federal student loan processes.

What is Income-Driven Repayment?

Income-driven repayment (IDR) plans are designed to make your student loan debt more manageable by reducing your monthly payment amount. If you need to make lower monthly payments or if your outstanding federal student loan debt represents a significant portion of your annual income, one of the following income-driven plans may be right for you:

  • Revised Pay As You Earn Repayment Plan (REPAYE)
  • Pay As You Earn Repayment Plan (PAYE)
  • Income-Based Repayment Plan (IBR)
  • Income-Contingent Repayment Plan (ICR Plan)

Who should complete this?

Those who are seeking a lower monthly payment on their federal student loans. You cannot use this tool if you are in default on all of your federal student loans or if you only have Parent PLUS Loans.

Note: There is no application fee to complete an Income-Driven Repayment Request. You may be contacted by private companies that offer to help you apply for Income-Driven Repayment, for a fee. These companies have no affiliation with the U.S. Department of Education (ED) or ED's Federal Loan Servicers.

How long will it take?

The entire Income-Driven Repayment process must be completed in a single session. Most people complete the process in 10 minutes or less.

New Applicants

I am not currently on an income-driven plan and I want to apply

You can apply for an income-driven repayment plan that limits your payments to a percentage of your income.

Returning IDR Applicants

Submit annual re-certification of my income

To re-certify for your existing income-driven repayment plan you must provide updated information about your income and family size annually.

Recalculate my monthly payment

If your income or family size has changed you can request that your income-driven payment be re-calculated to reduce your current monthly payment.

Switch my current plan to a new plan

If you are currently enrolled in an income-driven repayment plan and would like to switch to another income-driven repayment plan.

OMB No. 1845-0102
Form Approved
Exp. Date 10/31/2018